Skip to main content

Dieting, How I Loath You

Dieting. It's torture. But it is torture we willing put ourselves through. As it becomes swimsuit season women start to worry about fitting into a bikini and worry about how good we will look. I fall victim to it. Well I fall into it all the time, not just swimsuit season. I worked really hard last winter/ spring when I took off a semester. I hit the gym and watched what I ate. I lost weight too. I was finally happier about my appearance, not completely, but getting there. Problem- college. Watching what you put in your mouth is so hard when you eat at a school cafeteria. You don't know what is going into the food, you don't know the amount of calories. You can try and watch your portions but that one portion could still blow the amount of calories that is recommended. So to truly know what is going into your food, you need to make it. But that can be even more tricky if there is no where to cook, or if you buy a meal plan because you have to. It just really doesn't work. The next problem comes when you are taking 17 credits. It doesn't allow for much time to run to the gym. That was my first semester. It was hard. I probably didn't gain too much of the weight back, but then spring hit. Spring semester I had only 14 credits but one of my classes was an intensive studio. The down time I did have I wanted to relax, I didn't want to go to the gym. I continued to try and watch what I ate, and to be honest the cafeteria didn't really interest me. But I gained the weight back. It is such a frustrating never ending cycle. So here in June I find myself back home, and dieting all over again. But this time it is painful. All I want is to eat things I love. Not necessarily in excess, but I want to be able to have food I like. I want to be able to go out with friends. But, my body won't allow it. I can't seem to lose weight. I've been on a diet for a month and nothing, no results. And now I'm working. I am enjoying my job and what I do, but I hate working out in the evenings, and after 8 hours of work, I'm tired. I don't want to go down to my gym just so I can do 40 minutes on the elliptical. I like to work out when I wake up, but when you have to get up at 7am just so you can get to work on time, it would be a pain to get up at 5:30am just so you can go. I know I sound like I'm whining and making excuses, and I know there are people out there who do just that, but all it makes me feel is like it's unfair. It is so unfair that I have a body that doesn't take well to food or exercise. That I have the body type that doesn't allow me to eat whatever I want and stay thin. I also know it didn't all get there overnight, but to really encourage the work I'm doing, why am I not lucky enough to see results? Dinner sucks, because I love food, and I enjoy it. But I am trying to not eat too much, but what is a hamburger without a bun? Or what is a pool party opening when you can't have dessert? Like this weekend, we are having a pool party, and my mom wants to make carrot cake cupcakes, MY FAVORITE FLAVOR, and because it is so fattening I can't have it.So what do I do? Not go and sit in my room and be depressed for a different reason? For being alone? Or watch as everyone else eats exactly what they want, without any worry? The restrictions suck. They eat away at my resolve, especially when it is constantly being shoved under my nose. Eating out is a mess because no where I go has nutrition facts. I go to local places that I love, but no where do they tell me what is in the food. I wish I was one of those people who hated food, or that it just didn't interest them. It would make life so much easier. Or be one of those people who loves to work out. But I'm not. Its like no matter what I do I'll be in this never ending vicious cycle. I'll continue to hate dieting, but I will continue to do so, because I hate the way I feel. But I don't think I'll ever get to the point I want. I know I can't be a size 6 or 120lb, I wasn't built that way, my bone structure will never be able to allow it. But I'd like to look good for my build, and I don't. I just feel like giving up because everything I do is killing me. It sucks. I hate it. I wish I was a person who didn't care. But I'm not. Just don't see a way out. Like I said, a vicious never ending cycle.

From Idaho With Love, Molly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

London Day Seven- Salisbury Cathedral, Wilton House, and Stonehenge

Me and Stonehenge Today started at 5:15am for me. I woke up determined to get ready quickly so I could go out and find coffee, because after waking up that early you need coffee, and to try and find batteries. Normally I wouldn't get up at 5:15am to do this, but we had to meet the group at 6:40. Walking down the street at 6 was one of the most peaceful moments of the trip! No one was on the street except for one homeless man. The world was quiet and I marveled at the feeling of being the only one up. I walked to the Starbucks to have my heart plummet to my stomach when they weren't open. Who knew they didn't open until 6:30? But my heart quickly went back to its place when a shop across the street was open with coffee! It was really good too. I then walked to the Tube to see if any of those stores were open. I guess 6:15 is a little early, so no one was open. I made my way back to the flat and I was ready for our journey. We headed out toward the tube. After the tube rid

It's Over Already?

To be honest, it isn't over yet. I still have one more final. But being at the end of the semester, one becomes reflective. I have completed one year at University of Idaho. I never thought I'd be here. I thought I'd be finishing my third year at Utah State. I would be in their interior design program and I'd be graduating a year from now. Not everything goes as planned. While it still stings at times, I am so happy to be where I am. Idaho has welcomed me and made me a part of the community. Sometimes, I still feel a little awkward, but this is the place I'm meant to be, at least for now. This year has been full of ups and downs. The awkward, I'm not a freshman but still new, was how I started. I now walk around campus knowing exactly where I'm going. I had times when I was sure I couldn't complete the tasks asked. Two classes in particular scared me. Materials and Specifications of the fall semester, and Architecture 154 of spring semester. I've c

Ireland day 3 (Day 19)

Today was our free day in Ireland, though we had to be back at the hotel at 4:30 for our flight back to England. I woke up at about 8am so I could have one last amazing breakfast. The Hilton provided some great food. I then went upstairs to try and figure out what I wanted to do that day. I wanted to go to Titanica, the exhibit on the Titanic but according to the map it was far away. I really didn't want to walk a long way and risk not getting back on time. Later I would see it wasn't far at all. That didn't make me happy. I had a good day even without seeing it. Andrea and I discussed what to do for awhile. Laura, Andrea, and Danielle wanted to go shopping. I decided to join them. At twelve we made our way downstairs and checked out of the hotel. I was sad so see it go, but also excited to leave because it didn't have free internet. We started to walk toward Victoria Square. It was absolutely glorious in the day time. The sun was shining and warm. It was a perfect day.